4.20.2011

No Impact Man

     Last night while I was bored at work I ventured into the documentary section of Netflix. I found some pretty interesting documentaries and with the recommendation of a friend I began to watch one titled No Impact Man. The story is of a man who decides to change the way he lives in order to have no impact on the environment. You can check out his blog here.
     I found this documentary to be extremely informative and interesting, granted I could never do what he did, or at least I don't want to. It was amazing to see that someone really could live their life with little to no electricity, eating only local foods, and not use any forms of transportation besides our feet or bicycles.
    His idea behind the no impact project was to figure out "what each of us can do to end our environmental crisis, make a better place to live for ourselves and everyone else, and hopefully come up with a happier way of life along the way." I think if the idea to "come up with a happier way of life along the way" would have been the primary purpose of the project, I wouldn't have viewed the documentary as a liberal scheme to save the planet in an Al Gore fashion, but at the same time, the documentary wasn't that at all. It was a great journey of a family in search of a way they could personally improve the planet.
     I thoroughly enjoyed it. I think it inspired me to use a little less plastic, shop a little more local, and use my car less. Watch the trailer here, and if you have Netflix, it's only 90 minutes, give it a watch, and if you don't, come over to my place and watch it with me again.

No comments:

Post a Comment